Two men were killed and a third was injured on Saturday night after members of the alleged rival drug cartels opened fire on a popular Mexican resort town, officials say.
Shots were reported around 8:30 p.m. at the Art Beach restaurant, which is along the Riviera Maya near the Tulum hotel zone in Cancun.
The Quintana Roo state attorney general said he has opened an investigation into the shooting. He identified the injured victim as “LAAC, 24 years old” but did not provide further details.
Cancun sun reports that the men who were shot were having dinner at the restaurant when suspected members of a rival drug cartel burst in and opened fire. No less than 20 shots were heard, according to the media.
Fox News has contacted Art Beach for comment and will update this story accordingly.
A series of violent incidents at Mexico’s resorts in recent months has called into question their reputation for being safe for tourists.
Just last month, two Canadians were killed and another was injured in a filming at the Xcaret Hotel along the Caribbean coast of Mexico.
In December, a group of people on jet skis fired shots into the air in Cancun’s hotel zone. The gunfire prompted tourists to take cover, but no injuries were reported.
In November, a shootout on the beach in Puerto Morelos left two suspected drug traffickers dead. Authorities said there were about 15 gunmen from a gang there who were apparently vying for control of drug sales.
In late October, two tourists – one an Indian-born Californian travel blogger and the other German – were caught in the apparent crossfire of rival drug dealers and killed in Tulum.
Following these events, President Andrés Manuel López Obrador sent nearly 1,500 members of the National Guard to reinforce security in the region.
Adam Sabes of FOX News and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
Learn more from FOX News.